The long-awaited update to Apple’s iOS operating system is finally here. With Apple said to have paid more attention to stability and performance improvements than on bringing new features, iOS 12 is expected to be more stable and reliable than the buggy iOS 11. Apple claims that the latest iOS update will make your older devices feel faster and so far, this has been confirmed by those who have tried iOS 12 betas.
As with every iOS release, you can upgrade your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch devices using the OTA update or by using the IPSW files.
Using OTA (Over the Air) is the quickest and easiest way to update your device right from Settings. Just connect it to power outlet and WiFi, go to Settings > General > Software Update and tap Download and Install. Your device should be updated after a reboot.
I usually update my iPhone using the stock iOS firmware files aka the IPSW files. An IPSW file completely erases your device and applies the new software. You can bring the data back as it was before from the backup after the process is finished. The whole process is done using iTunes on a Mac or a PC. If you have more than one similar devices (two iPhone 7, for example), you can use the same IPSW file to update all of them.
If you came here looking for iOS 12 IPSW files, you probably already know what you are doing. In order to update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using iOS 12 IPSW file for whatever reasons, follow these steps.
How to Update to iOS 12 Using IPSW File?
- Step 1: Download iOS 12 IPSW file for your device (direct links below).
- Step 2: Connect your device to iTunes and take backup.
- Step 3: Turn off Find My iPhone from Settings > iCloud. (You will be turning it on after the update)
- Step 4: Press Options key (on Mac) or Shift key (on Windows) and click Restore in iTunes.
Confirm your action. Let the process continue. Your device will reboot during the process.
- Step 5: Once the update process is finished, follow on-screen instructions to setup your device. Then choose ‘Restore from Backup’ in iTunes and choose the backup version you just took before starting this process. Your device will reboot and you will see the data as it was.
- Step 6: Turn Find My iPhone on from Settings > iCloud.
Download iOS 12 IPSW Files: Direct Download Links
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone X
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 6s,
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) – 1st generation
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) – 2nd generation
- iPad 5 (9.7-inch – 2017)
- iPad 6 (9.7-inch – 2018)
- iPad Pro (9.7‑inch)
- iPad Air 2,
- iPad Air 1
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2